Nominating petitions for Board of Education candidates are available from the Board Clerk now through April 17, 2017 business days between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The Board Clerk, Judy Enck, is located in the superintendent’s office building at 343 West Main St. in Catskill and may be reached at email@example.com or 518-943-4696.
For this year’s election, there are five seats open on the Catskill Board of Education. They are as follows:
- Expiring Term of William Fiske (incumbent) commencing July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2020
- Expiring Term of Ryan Osswald (incumbent) commencing July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2020
- Expiring Term of Kyle Lyles (incumbent) commencing July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2020
- Unexpired Term of Christine Kirch (incumbent appointee) commencing May 17, 2017-June 30, 2017 AND July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019
- Unexpired Term of Andrew Jones (vacant) commencing May 17, 2017-June 30, 2017 AND July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019
The top two vote getters will fill the May 17, 2017-June 30, 2017 and start a 3-year term July 1, 2017-June 30, 2020. The third highest vote getter will serve a July 1, 2017-June 30, 2020 term. The 4th and 5th highest vote getters will fill the July 1, 2017-June 30, 2019 terms.
In order to be eligible to serve on the Board, a candidate must be able to read and write, be a qualified voter of the district (U.S. citizen at least 18 years of age), have been a resident of the Catskill Central School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year, and cannot be employed by the School Board on which he or she serves or live in the same household as a member of the same school board.
Candidate petitions must be filed with the Board Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday, April 17, 2017. Each nominating petition must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the district and shall state the name and the residence of the candidate and each signer. The order of candidate names on the ballot will be determined by drawing on April 18, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Clerk’s office.
Catskill’s Board of Education election will be held as part of the school budget vote Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 1:00-9:00 p.m. in the Catskill High School gymnasium.