Dear Catskill CSD Community:
As we approach the winter months, I would like to inform you of the procedures that will be used by the District to govern the closing or delay of schools when the weather makes traveling for staff and students dangerous.
The following will be implemented:
- Two-Hour Delay – a two-hour delay opening allows for snow removal and traffic clearance after evening snowfall or during relatively light storms. In the event of a two-hour delay, there will be no AM pre-kindergarten or AM BOCES. Please stay tuned for school messages following a delayed opening announcement in case of worsening conditions warranting school closing.
- School Closure – Schools will be closed due to storms severe enough that safe paths to school cannot generally be
- Early Dismissal – Early Dismissal is done only in the event of an unanticipated emergency. On the occasion when an emergency dismissal is necessary, announcements will be made on television and made using the Blackboard Connect telephone service. The District website will also display these announcements. Utmost caution will be exercised by school staff in the event of an early dismissal. Please know that in these instances school staff will remain at school until safe travel is provided for all students. Please be sure your family has contingency plans for children sent home due to an early
During each storm that arises, I begin checking road conditions as early as 3:00am in order to determine the County’s readiness to hold school. In the case of an anticipated snowstorm, I will make a decision to either delay or cancel school the evening before the storm. If the schedule is to be altered, I will attempt to make announcements on the television (WRGB Channel 6, WTEN Channel 10, WNYT Channel 13), the Catskill Central School District’s website (https://catskillcsd.org), and over the Blackboard Connect telephone service as early as possible. Our judgment in those circumstances will be based on the best information available at that time about road conditions throughout the area. The safety of our students and staff are our top priority.
Here are some of our November events to keep in mind:
- Catskill High School Veterans Day Assembly November 9, 2018 @ 9:00a.m.
- Catskill Elementary School Veterans Day Assembly November 9, 2018 @ 2:00p.m.
- Veterans Day November 12, 2018 – District Closed
- College Financial Aid Night November 13, 2018 @ 6:00pm, High School Library
- Board of Education Meeting November 14, 2018 @ 7:00pm, High School Library
- Parent-Teacher Conferences November 15, 2018- Early Dismissal-All District Schools will operate on an early dismissal schedule on Thursday, November 15, 2018. Please be advised that early dismissal for Catskill Middle / High School students is 10:30am, and Catskill Elementary students are dismissed at 11:30 am.
Conference times for Thursday, November 15, 2018 are as follows: CHS / CMS 11:30AM-7:00PM
- Parent-Teacher Conferences November 16th- Early Dismissal– All District schools will operate on an early dismissal schedule on Friday, November 16, 2018. Please be advised that early dismissal for Catskill Middle / High School students is 10:30, and Catskill Elementary students are dismissed at 11:30 m.
Conference times for Friday, November 16, 2018 are as follows: CHS / CMS 11:30AM-2:00PM
Please contact the following people to schedule an appointment: Ms. Brenda Maggio (High School Conferences) (518) 943-2300 Ms. Claire Bromley (Middle School Conferences) (518) 943-5665
Your Child’s Assigned Teacher(s) (Elementary Conferences) (518) 943-0574
- The Superintendent’s Forum-Budget Development Process– has been rescheduled to Monday, November 19, 2018 at 6:00pm in the High School Library. We encourage you to attend the forum to provide input and have your questions answered regarding the development of the 2019-2020
- Thanksgiving Recess November 21 – 23, 2018 – School
Lastly, November 20, 2018 is a District Emergency Release Day. Catskill Middle School and High School students will be dismissed at 2:00 p.m., and Catskill Elementary School students will be released at 3:15 p.m. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of our Catskill Central School District families a safe and happy holiday season.
Dr. Ronel Cook
Superintendent of Schools