Dear Catskill CSD Community,
I wanted you to be aware that at approximately 1:30 p.m. today, March 7, 2023 at Catskill Middle School, a student reported a strong smell in an upstairs bathroom. The smell was caused by a small number of students who had placed lithium batteries in the toilet water, which caused a brief chemical reaction. The reaction was contained to the toilet and students and staff were never in any danger. Staff closed off the bathroom and opened the window to let the room air out, and we notified police and fire services, who responded to the Middle School as a precaution. Other than the closure of the bathroom, the incident did not cause a disruption to the school day. The Middle School dismissed students at their usual time and after-school activities will take place as normal.
The students responsible have been identified and the matter will be handled according to our District’s code of conduct.
Please know that we take these matters very seriously and that the safety and security of our students and staff are of the utmost importance.
Melissa A. Barrow
Superintendent of Schools